The chakras are your body’s energy centers. They serve as essential energetic portals for healing the body, mind, emotions, and spirit. The seven main chakras of the physical body are located vertically along the center line at the front and back of the body and each chakra is associated with a color (see illustration below). The chakras are cone-shaped, with the opening of the cone reaching about three inches out from your body in either direction. Alchemy Energetic Healing aligns the chakras to instantly shift the energy field and activate healthy physical and energetic function.
An artist’s rendering of the seven major chakras, as they look when aligned in a balanced energy field.
Although awareness of the chakras is fairly recent in Western culture, chakras have been an integral aspect of Yogic practice for many centuries. In fact, ancient Indian Vedic texts mention chakras as early as 600 B.C. In Sanskrit, it is spelled “cakra” but pronounced with a “ch” and means spinning wheel or vortex, referring to the chariot wheels of the invading Aryans. The modern interpretation, “wheel of light,” describes the auric field of the chakras.
Each chakra is associated with certain physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual functions. Although interpretations of the chakras’ effects vary, holistic healers in many different modalities understand and acknowledge the power of the chakras. An out of balance chakra can lead to problems on many levels. For energy healing to work properly and have a lasting effect, the chakras must be balanced and aligned. AEH begins with balancing the chakras and bringing them back to a positive, healthy state before moving on to address more specific healing issues.
Here are just a few of the ways that chakras can affect energy positively when they are balanced and negatively when they are unbalanced:
Base or root chakra. Located at the base of the trunk.
- Color: Red
- Unbalanced: Feelings of not being supported by the universe, family, or friends; fear of owning your power; lack of grounding; feeling stuck
- Balanced: Grounding; safety; relaxation; being present in the moment; ability to go with the flow of life
Sexual or sacral chakra. Located in the pelvic/sacral area.
- Color: Orange
- Unbalanced: Blocked from being in your power; blocked creativity; inability to manifest what you want in life; fertility issues
- Balanced: Healthy sexual function; stimulates creativity and ability to manifest
Solar plexus chakra. Located just below the rib cage.
- Color: Yellow
- Unbalanced: Holds emotional history, including childhood wounds and issues; stores anger; stomach, liver, gall bladder, pancreas, and spleen problems
- Balanced: Able to experience pleasure; healthy emotional life; can process and let go of anger or upsets easily; physical symptoms begin to heal
Heart chakra. Located in the center of the chest.
- Color: Green.
- Unbalanced: Lack of self-love or feelings of worthiness; lack of gratitude; problems with the heart, lungs, and ribs
- Balanced: Connects you with all aspects of love, including self-love, gratitude, and forgiveness; cultivates openness to life; healthy cardiovascular function
Throat chakra. Located in the center of the neck.
- Color: Light blue
- Unbalanced: Fear of speaking your truth; trouble assimilating outside information; throat, neck, and thyroid problems
- Balanced: Stimulates your ability to speak your truth and live authentically; promotes a healthy thyroid
Third eye or brow chakra. Located between and slightly above the eyebrows.
- Color: purplish/Indigo
- Unbalanced: Too many thoughts; blocked intuition; lower brain and pituitary gland issues
- Balanced: Increases intuitive and psychic abilities, hormonal function, and ability to quiet the mind
Crown chakra. Located on and just above the crown of the head.
- Color: White
- Unbalanced: Fear of spirituality or blocked spiritual connection; lack of faith and trust that the universe is on your side; brain and pineal gland issues
- Balanced: Connection with spirituality and life purpose; trust that everything is happening for your greater good; stimulates optimal brain function